Posts Tagged ‘applying for fits’

How do I apply for the Feed-In Tariff?

Once your chosen installer has installed your renewable energy technology, you will need to take the following steps to register for FIT:

  • Ask your installer to register you on the central MCS database. The installer will then send you a certificate confirming MCS compliance.
  • Tell your chosen FIT supplier that you wish to register for the FIT and send them a completed application form along with the MCS certificate.
  • Your FIT supplier will cross-reference your installation with the MCS database and undertake other eligibility checks.
  • Your FIT supplier will confirm your eligibility and the date you are eligible for payments from.
  • Your FIT supplier will add you to the Ofgem Central FIT Register, which records all installations in the FIT scheme.
  • Your FIT supplier will agree with you if and when you will need to provide meter readings and when they will make FIT payments to you – these will form part of your statement of FIT terms.
  • If you want to opt out of the guaranteed export tariff you must tell your FIT supplier – you would only do this if you have a separate Power Purchase Agreement to sell your surplus on a commercial basis.

Although this may all seem complicated a majority of the steps are completed by your supplier and is something you should confirm with them before agreeing to have the installation completed by them. Remember that in order to quality for the FiT you must use MCS approved Solar Panels.